Monday, July 13, 2009

Map finished

Google maps are now inside of Geopher Lite basically as you see it below, replacing the current "map" button on the set target screen. The differences being that the tooltips have good information, the current location dot is blue and as you'd expect, and the coordinate text at the bottom is centered instead of right justified.



I found and fixed the semi-random coordinate saving bug. One workaround until I get the next update is to enter something into the waypoint location on teh target screen -- this will force an immediate save of the coordinates once you leave this text field. Honestly I'm shocked that I haven't had more people report this as it would only sometimes save coordinates unless you entered in the GC tag, which would then force the coordinates to save. I had 4 people over the last 6 months report coordinates not saving and it's been a bug since the last revision. All of those people I gave a few suggestions to try and I'm assuming they never got it working but just didn't tell me. Please, if you see a problem let me know so I can fix it! I can't fix what I don't know about. =)

I'm going to take a good hard look at the compass next and see if I can get that working a bit better. For starters I'd like to either fix up or outright remove the filtering if I can, using apple's built-in API for the compass. I'd also like to turn on the rotation by default. I'm seriously considering keeping the rotation on at all times for the compass view. I don't think this view gets used as much as I had planned originally, and as it's currently defaulted to off, I think many people don't even turn it on and think it's just broken.

I'd like to submit an update by this weekend, we will see how much time I get to work on the compass. I'm considering a delay on the project to move the settings into the app itself, and that certainly won't happen this week. I'll let you know by the end of the week if I go that far or not. =)

Thanks for dropping by.

1 comment:

mjm2050 said...

Thanks for answering my question from my comments last month. The maps in the app look great and will make a big difference in useability. I did have some problems with coords not being saved but thought that it was juts me not being familair with the app. Can't imagine anyone not having the compass rotate. Wouldn't worry too much about moving the settings into the app as once you know where they are its not a big problem. Using the 3GS compass will actually make Geopher better than most GPSr's as you can get the target direction without having to be moving - will need to make this an option though as the Iphone compass may be off.

Keep up the good work and have a great holiday - you'll have earn't it if you gte the update out beforehand.

Mike

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
DadGuy has been working with apple computers since the mac classic. I love games and puzzles and like to solve problems. I'm having a blast developing for the iPhone and iPad.